Thursday, 30 April 2009

My child has how many passports?

An email from a new oleh and a new father:

"As the cycle of life continues, my new son entered the world last week. In preparation for his birth, all was considered. Bedroom furniture - check; Pram - check; nappies - check; and the list goes on. However the one thing that was not considered was that our child would have his own identity.

The day after the brit, I, the sleep-deprived father went to the Misrad Hapnim with the hospital proof that my son was born. Once presenting the form and the Teudot Zehut of my wife and myself, my son was officially registered as Israeli, receiving his birth certificate. As things were closing up, the clerk turned to me and said, "Come back with photos another time so that we can arrange a passport for him".

At that point it dawned on me, there is not only one passport application that needs to be filled out, there are three!

And so, the process of three passport applications began - essentially a competition of which country's bueracracy was the better one or worse.

Let's hope all work out fine."

Applications for citizenship and passports can be made by contacting the appropriate embassies:

United Kingdom


New Zealand

South Africa


Friday, 17 April 2009

Prepare yourself before you travel

Israeli citizenship is conferred 90 days after making Aliyah. Once you hold Israeli citizenship, you are required by law to enter and exit Israel on an Israeli Passport ot Travel Document (Teudat Ma’avar).

If planning to travel within 90 days of making Aliyah, an Oleh should make sure to ask for a letter from Misrad Hapnim, confirming that he or she is allowed to leave the country using a foreign passport.

After 90 days a temporary Travel Document (Teudat Ma’avar) should be applied for. Once your temporary Travel Document has expired, you are then eligible to apply for a full Israeli passport.

A passport or Teudat Ma'avar is applied for in person at the Interior Ministry (Misrad Hapnim). All members of the family require their own passport. This includes babies and they must be present when their parent or guardian makes the application.

The information desk in the entrance to Misrad Hapnim will be able to supply you with a form to fill in and in addition one will need the following:

  • Teudat Zehut
  • 2 passport photos
  • Cash – NIS 125 for a Teudat Ma’avar, NIS 250 for a full passport, NIS 125 for a full passport for Minors (under 18 years old).

The passport will be sent to you via mail. It usually arrives quickly, however one should apply well in advance of any travel plans.